Kids crafts: handmade crowns
I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.
New year’s day is a big deal in my family, not only is it the first day of the year and a great time to unleash the fireworks, its also my birthday and my eldest daughter’s birthday… YES! a double birthday whammy!
We decided to make some New Year birthday crowns for the princesses and the queen. These crowns are perfect at any time of the year, for any kind of celebration.
You will need:
- Yellow and white craft foam
- White craft glue
- Seed bead, small colorful beads
- Sequins and feathers
- Pieces of self adhesive hook-and-loop fasteners
How to make it:
- Cut a crown shape out of yellow craft foam. Cut two 12 by 1 inch strips of white craft foam
- Glue the white strips to the bottom edge of the yellow crown. Let dry
- Try out the crown on your child’s head to measure the headband. Trim where needed then attach a piece or two of hook-and-loop fastener that will hold the headband in place
- Lay the crown face up and write “Happy New Year”, “Happy Birthday” or your child’s name and age with the white craft glue
- Cover the glue words with seed beads. Cover all the glue completely and very gently press down. Wait a few minutes before lifting the crown and letting the excess beads fall off
- Decorate the rest of the crown with colorful beads, feathers and any other decorations you like
Once you know the basics, you can go crazy with the designs and let your creative juices flow. These would be just perfect to celebrate Epiphany tomorrow or this coming weekend and to place on whoever finds the bean in the almond cake and is declared king or queen
Have a great weekend!