Spring’s here! Time to get organized!
The nice weather is here and it’s time for some spring-cleaning! To me spring-cleaning also means decluttering and getting organized, shedding that extra accumulated weight and getting lean for the nice weather ahead, yes, I am talking about all those things we manage to accumulate over time…
Here is a list of 5 things to check off when I spring-clean my house:
1. Maximize the storage you already have
- Buy drawer and cupboard organizers for your bathroom and kitchen to optimize the sapce you already have
- Buy closet and drawer organizers for your bedroom to optimize the space you already have
2. Find extra space in unexpected places
- Place storage containers under the bed,
- Store books and objects on shelves over doors
- Find storage under staircases or install shelves along staircases
3. Put a label on everything!
- Plugs, cords, toys, schedules, fresh herbs, plants, etc.
- You can also colour code everything for each family member so that everyone’s things are easily recognizable
4. Declutter and get rid of things you haven’t used for a year
- I use the year mark as a reference, if I haven’t worn or used an item for a year or more, it means that I don’t really need it and I pass it along
5. Use unexpected items for storage
- Painted crates and bookcases to store shoes for example, you’ll be able to store a lot more shoes then storage made for that purpose
- Shoe organizer to store toys
For more great organizing ideas, check out our Organizing & Decluttering Pinterest board!
Do you have any great organizing solutions to share?
This article was inspired by one I read in the March 2012 issue of Chatelaine magazine