Recipe: Christine Cushing’s Caribbean Rice and Beans
Good Monday morning everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend!
Last week on this very blog, I told you about an appearance by Canadian celebrity chef Christine Cushing on daytime York where she cooked up two dishes using In Cuisin risotto. I am pleased to share with you today her recipe for Caribbean rice and beans using In Cuisin spinach risotto. Enjoy!
Caribbean rice and beans
Recipe by Christine Cushing
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into ¼” pieces
- ½ tsp. cumin seed , ground(2.5 ml)
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small can Pinto beans (14 oz)
- 1/3 cup chicken stock (80 ml)
- 2 packages In Cuisin Cheese & Spinach Risotto
- Freshly cracked black pepper and/or chile flakes to taste
- In a large skillet, on medium, heat olive oil, sauté sweet potatoes, cumin seed, allspice and green onions, for about 6-7 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Add the cooked beans, cheese and spinach risotto and up to 1/3 cup of chicken stock and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Season with pepper and chile flakes, if desired. Cook until rice is creamy and heated through, about 4-5 minutes.