Christmas craft: Build your own gingerbread house
Building your own gingerbread house is not a simple task. It takes some time, but the building process is probably the best part of it and it’s a good way get together with your loved ones and build something that you’ll be proud of. The 2 key words of a good gingerbread house are colors and fun. Here’s a nice simple recipe to build your dream miniature home.
Step 1: Making the dough
I love this recipe from the Food Network website and it is the one I use. It’s simple and delicious and I highly recommend it. You can also use a family recipe if you like.
Step 2: The paper pattern (Source: Simply Recipes)
Step 3: Roll and cook (Source: Food Network)
- Roll gingerbread dough out to edges on a large, rimless cookie sheet.
- Place paper patterns onto the rolled out dough.
- With a sharp, straight edged knife, cut around each of the pieces, but leave pieces in place.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 15 minutes until dough feels firm.
- Place patterns on top of the gingerbread again and trim shapes, cutting edges with a straight-edged sharp knife.
- Leave to cool on baking sheet.
Step 4: Icing (Source: Food Network)
- 1 pound (3-3/4 cups) powdered sugar, sifted if lumpy
- 1 to 2 large egg whites, or substitute 4 teaspoons packaged egg whites and 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix all of the ingredients together using a hand mixer, until the icing is smooth and thin enough to be pressed through a pastry bag with a writing tip.
Step 5: Build it (Source: the Food Network)
- Place royal icing into pastry bag with a writing tip
- Press out to decorate individual parts of house.
- Let dry until hardened.
- Glue sides, front and back of house together at corners using icing.
- Place an object against the pieces to prop up until icing is dry
- Glue the two roof pieces to the pitched roofline of the house.
Step 6: Decorate
This is probably the most fun part. You can then use you creativity to make that gingerbread house your own. Add you favorite candies to give it a look of a fairy tail. In Snax cinnamon crisps make the most perfect roof tiles! And don’t forget to add the most important ingredient … LOVE