Frozen dessert: easy granita
I love granita. They’re so refreshing, are easy to make, contain nothing but fruit and water basically and you can make so many different flavours. Not only can you change the main fruit flavour, but you can also add spices (ginger, vanilla), herbs (basil, mint) or even your favourite alcohol (champagne, port) to the mix.
This is one of my favourite granita recipe. You can make it with raspberry or strawberries.
- 3 cups of berries
- 1/2 to 3/4 cugar (depending on how sweet the berries are)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 or 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Dissolve the sugar in the water over low heat, just until the sugar melts
- Place the berries, lemon juice and simple syrup in a blender and blend
- Strain the mixture and pour into a shallow metallic pan and place in the freezer
- When the edges start freezing (after about 30 minutes), scrape the mixture with a fork and bring the frozen edges into the center of the pan. Repeat this action every 20 to 30 minutes about 3 or 4 times.
- Serve in bowls with some fresh fruit for garnish
Note: You can add basil to this mix and it would be delicious! And go ahead and explore with flavours, try making cantaloupe, watermelon, mango, passion fruit, peach and anything else you find in season!